If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (541) 345-0115

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Heating Your Home Safely

3/3/2017 (Permalink)

The Winter season is here and with it comes shorter days and colder temperatures.  Many people use alternative heat sources like gas fireplaces, portable space heaters and wood burning stoves to keep their homes cozy.  Did you know that heating equipment is a leading cause in home fire deaths?

According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment fires cause an estimated $1 billion in direct property damage annually.

Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of a heating-related fire. 

1.  Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating  equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater.

2.  Have a three foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

3. Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

4. Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

5. Test smoke alarms monthly.

6.  Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters. 

7.  Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

If your property does suffer fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Lane County @ 541-345-0115.

Other News

View Recent Posts